Current Program Activities and Benefits
GEFA increases the capacity and quality of Georgia's water supply, supports the protection and preservation of Georgia's land resources, and promotes conservation and advancement of Georgia's energy resources. The agency continues to build upon this success through its commitment to protecting Georgia's natural resources and supporting economic development.
Improving Georgia’s Water Resources
- In FY2020, projects financed by GEFA provided reliable water, wastewater, and solid waste services to more than 1 million Georgians.
- The Clean Water State Revolving Fund (CWSRF) awarded 20 loans totaling $94.8 million.
- The Drinking Water State Revolving Fund (DWSRF) awarded 42 loans totaling $74.4 million.
- The Georgia Fund awarded 13 loans totaling $18 million.
- GEFA provided financing to 60 communities, with more than $16 million in debt service savings.
- The DWSRF provided $27.8 million to small systems servicing fewer than 10,000 customers and $6.4 million to communities less than 3,300 customers.
- Two communities received WaterFirst designations – city of Jefferson and Bartow County.
Conserving Georgia’s Energy Resources
- In FY2020, 40 K-12 and higher education building operations received Building Operator Certification training.
- Six Georgia Solar contracts totaling $223,728 were executed to install small-scale solar photovoltaic systems and to increase renewable energy education.
- The State Energy Program procured nine alternative fuel mobile generators for the Georgia Rural Water Association.
- The Weatherization Assistance Program weatherized 683 homes positively impacting 1,197 Georgians with an estimated energy savings of 20,831 MBtu.
- The Fuel Storage Tank Program provided oversight and monitoring services for 630 fuel storage tanks at 23 state agencies and departments.
- GEFA helped its agency partners pass 29 fuel storage tank site compliance inspections.
- GEFA completed the annual registration for 324 state-owned underground fuel storage tanks.
For more information, view GEFA's annual report.