Current Program Activities and Benefits
GEFA increases the capacity and quality of Georgia's water supply, coordinates the protection and preservation of Georgia's land resources, and promotes conservation and advancement of Georgia's energy resources. The agency continues to build upon this success through its commitment to protecting Georgia's natural resources and supporting economic development.
Improving Georgia’s Water Resources
Projects financed by GEFA in FY2018 provided reliable water, wastewater, and solid waste services to nearly 1.2 million Georgians.
Local governments using GEFA financing in FY2018 saved an estimated $50.1 million in interest costs over the life of an average 20-year loan.
The Clean Water State Revolving Fund (CWSRF) awarded 33 loans totaling $163.1 million.
The Drinking Water State Revolving Fund (DWSRF) awarded 27 loans totaling $50 million.
The Georgia Fund awarded 16 loans totaling $48.8 million.
Provided financing to 72 communities in FY2018.
Protecting Georgia’s Land Resources
- Since 2006, the Georgia Conservation Tax Credit Program facilitated 556 conservation easement donations protecting more than 246,000 acres of land.
- In FY2018, the Fuel Storage Tank Program provided oversight and monitoring services for 660 fuel storage tanks at 24 state agencies and departments.
- GEFA conducted underground storage tank operator and compliance trainings at 24 state facilities and passed 60 compliance inspections.
- Completed the annual registration for 330 state-owned underground fuel storage tanks.
Conserving Georgia’s Energy Resources
- Two state agencies were approved for guaranteed energy savings performance contracts totaling $20 million and are moving forward with procurement.
- During FY2018, three Georgia Solar contracts totaling $125,000 were executed with local govenments and K-12 public schools to install small-scale solar photovoltaic systems and to increase renewable energy education.
- Solar for Schools provides technical college students with the hands-on learning opportunity of solar photovoltaic system design, installation, and maintenance. During FY2018, GEFA executed one contract for $58,000 with Southern Crescent Technical College–Griffin campus.
- The Weatherization Assistance Program completed weatherization retrofits to 458 units—impacting 745 people—with estimated energy savings of 13,969 MBtu.
For more information, view GEFA's annual report.