Assistance is available to ensure state agencies remain compliant with rules and regulations.
The FSTP is responsible for the installation, upgrading and removal of underground storage tanks (USTs) and aboveground storage tanks (ASTs), and remediating petroleum-contaminated state-owned facilities.
INSTALLING NEW TANKS AND UPGRADING EXISTING SYSTEMS
- Assists in the design, installation and upgrading of fuel storage systems
- Ensures compliance with rules and regulations
- Funds engineering and design costs; equipment and construction costs are paid by the state agency
REMOVING OBSOLETE SYSTEMS
- Removes obsolete tanks
- Performs required soil and groundwater testing after removal
- Funds removal and testing
USTs and ASTs sometime release stored petroleum, such as gasoline, diesel, used oil, heating oil or ethanol into the environment. When this happens, FSTP works with state agencies to assess the degree of contamination and remediates the site. GEFA pays for remediation costs (with the exception of Georgia Department of Transportation sites).